About Grassroot Soccer

Mission: Grassroot Soccer uses the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilize communities to stop the spread of HIV.

Vision: A world mobilized through soccer to prevent new HIV infections.

Strategy: To achieve our mission, we continuously improve our innovative HIV prevention and life-skills curriculum, share our program and concept effectively, and utilize the popularity of soccer to increase our impact.

http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/

Grassroot Video: Who We Are, What We Do.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Shuffle Weekend

Hmmm….I think I'll just give quick details of this weekend.  It was busy, but I think I will forever think of it as my Shuffle weekend.  Shuffle, as I have mentioned before, is a coach with GRS (not really anymore), a teammate on City Lads, and one of my good friends here.  She came over Thursday after work and slept over.  We made dinner, watched movies, hung out, and had a good time.

Friday was Danny's birthday so she invited a bunch of the City Lads ladies to her apartment to celebrate.  We braaid, had cake, drank, listened to music, danced, and had a good time.  Danny doesn't have room for everyone to stay though, and being out so late, people couldn't really go all the way back home to the townships, so some people stayed at our house.  Shuffle came back and slept in Jess's room again - or we should start calling it her room.

Saturday we woke up and went to the funeral(s).  Afterwards everyone who was there for GRS came back to Summerstrand and we went to the beach outside Danny's apartment.  Shuffle and I went boogie boarding.  However, Shuffle can't swim and is kinda scared of boogie boarding so it was mostly just me.  I had so much fun in the ocean though!  This was the first time, I think in my life, that I went full on swimming in the ocean - like I couldn't touch or anything.  It was awesome!  The waves were pretty big and I am now looking forward to the rest of my summer here for the beach days.  Shuffle was so funny though because she LOVES water.  She was like a kid at the beach which rubbed off on all of us so we were all just playing around like children on the beach - making sand castles, digging holes, swimming...it was a lot of fun. 

After the beach everyone moved to our house and we got pizzas and played cards and hung out.  It was ok, but it was quite stressful having everyone over.  Two issues:

  1. Some people expected us to buy them things - like food and booze.  This was really awkward.  I don't mind making food and offering it to people, like when Shuffle comes over, but when there are 15 people over I don't like that expectation put on me.  People also came here expecting that I would drive them home - some people live about a 1/2 hour away...another thing that I don't mind doing, but I'd like to offer.
  2. We approached a very awkward situation when R200 went missing out of Jess's room.  She left me with R500 to put on her internet because there is a special going on during December.  At some point R200 of it went missing.  This resulted in grouping the people who were around when it went missing and putting it out there that we knew, didn't want to put the blame on anyone because we couldn't, and asking whoever did it to return the rest by just leaving it somewhere.  Some people were really upset that it happened to us, others got defensive and didn't want to be called a thief...it was weird.  We tried to just move past it after we put it out there, but the money wasn't returned.  From now on I refuse to have any large group of people over.  I couldn't believe that people who we work with every day and consider our friends pulled something like that.  And now I am left to replace it.  I feel responsible because Jess had left the money with me and I should've hidden it somewhere earlier.  Just a horrifyingly annoying situation.

Anyways, moving on to Sunday: Shuffle stayed over again on Saturday so we woke up Sunday and watched Bridesmaids over pancakes and eggs.  Then we went to the pool and hung out while I tried to give her her first swimming lesson - not super successful.

After enough pool I drove her home to pick up her soccer boots and we went to play pick-up with Warren, Shayne, Soper, Silky, and a bunch of guys.  It was a lot of fun and felt good to play.  It rained a bit in the middle, but this ended quickly and then a nice rainbow came out.

Post-match we showered and then I took Shuffle back for good.  We are sleeping in our house sans-Shuffle for the first time in 3 nights.  It feels lonely! Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment