About Grassroot Soccer

Mission: Grassroot Soccer uses the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilize communities to stop the spread of HIV.

Vision: A world mobilized through soccer to prevent new HIV infections.

Strategy: To achieve our mission, we continuously improve our innovative HIV prevention and life-skills curriculum, share our program and concept effectively, and utilize the popularity of soccer to increase our impact.

http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/

Grassroot Video: Who We Are, What We Do.

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Holiday: Week 1

Friday - Eyethu with the girls.  Lots of dancing, lots of strange looks, lots of people asking me what a white girl was doing there.  One girl had a nice conversation with me…

Her: Are you a lesbian?
Me: No, I'm straight.
Her: What are you doing here with all lesbians?
Me: They're my friends.
Her: So you don't date lesbians…?
Me: No.  I'm straight.
Her: Oh common...we don't have to tell your mom, just listen to yourself.

Friday was a national holiday, nobody works, everyone goes to the beach, everyone parties.  Needless to say, the club was absolutely packed!  It was hard to even move.  Everyone buys their alcohol in bulk from the bar and sets up their little areas and then there is a dance floor in the middle and people walking around those going crazy with their moves.  It was really a crazy scene, but a lot of fun.

Saturday I went back, but only for a bit.  I met up with Knoxie's brothers - Theo and Ashley - and we went out for the night with a friend of theirs to a few places.  Got home at 4:30 am. 

Sunday Shuffle came over and we hung low watching movies and making jambalaya while it thunder-stormed outside.

Monday Chika came over and we watched a movie while Will cooked.  Eventually Bej, VIP, Nowie, and Theo joined us for Wills leaving/birthday dinner.  He made this really good chicken with stuffing that turned into a topping, but it was still awesome.  Will took most people home late that night, but Chika and Shuffle stayed - mainly because Shuffle lives here now that Jess's room is vacant for a while. 

Tuesday we spent the day at the pool.  Chika loves swimming and Shuffle is still trying to learn how.  I think I am a bad teacher. 

Wednesday Theo came back and we went to the beach with Shuffle.  I LOVE going to the beach here because people here LOVE the beach.  Every time it's like being transported back to childhood.  There is so much giggling and just playing in the waves.  We also brought a soccer ball to play around with which, of course, attracted other people so that didn't last too long.  I ended up getting pretty burnt on my stomach and chest...I guess salt water doesn't get along with my sunscreen.

Thursday I just chilled at home and watched some movies.

Friday I went out again with Theo and Ashley and their friend.  It was a hectic night.  Whenever I go out with them we jump from place to place so I get exhausted. 

Today is Christmas Eve and my Christmas package has not arrived...or perhaps it has, but I haven't received a notification yet, nor do I have the tracking number for the post office to check on it.  So, I will have a very strange Christmas with no family, no snow, no reminders of family….it'll be weird, but hopefully Chika's family will be fun.  Theo feels bad for me so he's going to come over and watch the Grinch with me and make dinner.  It's been really nice having him around over the holidays.  He usually lives in Jo-burg, but we get along really well so it's been great having a new friend to be around.  I hope he enjoys the Grinch because it is one of my favorite films of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment