About Grassroot Soccer

Mission: Grassroot Soccer uses the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilize communities to stop the spread of HIV.

Vision: A world mobilized through soccer to prevent new HIV infections.

Strategy: To achieve our mission, we continuously improve our innovative HIV prevention and life-skills curriculum, share our program and concept effectively, and utilize the popularity of soccer to increase our impact.

http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/

Grassroot Video: Who We Are, What We Do.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

City Lads

I have not been registered quite yet due to unforeseen issues.  South Africa is one of the most bureaucratic places I've ever seen!  It's crazy.  Trying to get donations for our HCT has been a hassle because no store has the authority to do so - have to go to the regional office.  Now trying to get registered is crazy.  I had to go through all this visa stuff and now I have to get the police to verify that I am residing in the country.  It's crazy.  So until everything gets taken care of I can train and watch games.

The first game of the season was a disaster.  I missed it, being in J-Bay and all, but it sounded bad.  I got to run during the week for it though.  Last weekend was better.  We had a nice home game and won 6-1.  Nice. 

We probably had so much energy because the red bull girls visited our practice on Friday.  They gave us all free red bull (of course) and nice pamphlets telling us that we should be drinking red bull to energize ourselves before sports....jeez. 

Other than this my weekend was a bust!  I was sick with the stomach flu from Friday to Tuesday.  Got 2 days off of work to lay in bed in pain watching movie after movie and season after season of 30 Rock.  I am able to eat food again though which is nice. 

Feeling semi-normal on Saturday morning however allowed me to fulfill my duties as an intern and I woke up nice and early to drive out to Booyens Parks, a super sketchy place that we were advised not to go to on the weekends...but targets call I suppose.  Jim and I went out there to bring food for lunch for everyone and pencils for pre-quizzes.  This didn't take too long and I was soon back home in bed.

And so is the tale of my weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment