About Grassroot Soccer

Mission: Grassroot Soccer uses the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilize communities to stop the spread of HIV.

Vision: A world mobilized through soccer to prevent new HIV infections.

Strategy: To achieve our mission, we continuously improve our innovative HIV prevention and life-skills curriculum, share our program and concept effectively, and utilize the popularity of soccer to increase our impact.

http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/

Grassroot Video: Who We Are, What We Do.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Visitors From Cape Town

This week has been crazy - long, short, blurred together!  Ron (finance director) and Jerome (HR/Opps Director) of SA were on site this week.  I spent a lot of time learning about the finances of GRS and how to report appropriately and correctly as a site.  Lots of info, lots of assignments.  It has been good though.  Busy is good.

I did transport money all by myself today for the first time.  I had to take a bunch of cash and turn it into smaller bills and then distribute it.  It seems really shady when you are sitting at a desk in a dark room and handing out bills upon bills. 

It is hard to remember what all has happened this week.  For the first time we went out last night and multiple people came up to me to say hi - because we were friends.  I know people now!  That is really exciting.  This weekend will be filled with me trying to figure out inventory.  PE's records have been HORRIBLE and we need to account for everything because out USAID grant is closing out this Nov.  This is what most of my time will be geared towards for the first half of this internship I think - getting things in line for this close-out so auditing goes smoothly.  It is a bit annoying in terms of the work, but also really great experience in terms of learning how GRS operates, how non-profits function under grants, and, at a smaller level, the intimate details of PE as a site. 

Jerome also fixed our internet this week so I can check my e-mail regularly!  Feel free to write!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment