About Grassroot Soccer

Mission: Grassroot Soccer uses the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilize communities to stop the spread of HIV.

Vision: A world mobilized through soccer to prevent new HIV infections.

Strategy: To achieve our mission, we continuously improve our innovative HIV prevention and life-skills curriculum, share our program and concept effectively, and utilize the popularity of soccer to increase our impact.

http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/

Grassroot Video: Who We Are, What We Do.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Development Session and Castros

Friday we had our first coaches development session since we've been here.  It was very interesting.  I know all the coaches now which is nice.  They started out with a little info session on some new drills/drills that needed more explanation.  Then they debated the usefulness and message of each drill - this part got a little heated (which is interesting because I feel working for GRS means you have to agree with their message).

Later there were site meetings and we had lunch (chicken thigh and 3 pieces of bread) and I gave out transport money.  Now I get to start really taking over the finances of the branch which will be cool.  I feel so important!  We played a little Paraizo during the site meetings as well.  I am sooo happy I got to bring this game to SA!  If you don't know it, it goes like this:

                                 It's a juggling game.  It doesn't matter how many times
                                 you juggle it, but the 5th PERSON to touch the ball gets
                                 to kick it at someone else.  If it hits them, they're out.
                                 If they catch it, you're out.  If nothing, then nothing.

Seriously the best game ever.  Nkadi played with us too so it's growing - thanks Russ.
I also got to make the Uitenhage announcement.  It's a bit of a weird dynamic right now because I'm new and a lot of the coaches have been there for 3-5 years.  The staff expects the interns to come in a kinda take over, which there is a lot that can be changed to both save money and make the branch more efficient, but it's still a bit strange to tell people what to do.

When the session was over however, it was officially the weekend.  Friday we went to Barneys to watch Barcelona win the UEFA super cup.  I had my Xavi jersey on, which is always a great choice.  We went to Castros afterwards (our go-to place for a good night) and met up with some friends we have made, and met up with a couple guys ex-interns wanted us to meet.  They were very cool and we are meeting them today to play some pick-up soccer and hang out.  The Xavi jersey though was an amazing conversation piece.  I love wearing jerseys because people always feel the need to talk to you about your soccer allegiances and their teams.  It's a bit of a riot.

Yesterday Jess and I went to the mall for lunch and picked up a couple things - it is becoming apparent to me that I did not pack super well.  I packed a lot for work and not a lot for going out on the weekends.  It turns out we go out at least twice a week and GRS gave me a bunch of clothes to wear to work, so I am work-heavy in my closet and running out of clothes to wear after hours.

Other than that we hung low yesterday and have been working on travel plans.  We are trying to have a bit of an intern reunion at our place for Thanksgiving and Capetown is trying to get us out there for a music festival.  Money is turning out to be an issue though.

Anyways, still enjoying myself.  The "vacation" mode is wearing off and I'm starting to really live in PE.  ay!

No comments:

Post a Comment