About Grassroot Soccer

Mission: Grassroot Soccer uses the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilize communities to stop the spread of HIV.

Vision: A world mobilized through soccer to prevent new HIV infections.

Strategy: To achieve our mission, we continuously improve our innovative HIV prevention and life-skills curriculum, share our program and concept effectively, and utilize the popularity of soccer to increase our impact.

http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/

Grassroot Video: Who We Are, What We Do.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Day Off



Today we didn't have to go into work.  We have been working out of the cars until we get out office (the lease was supposed to be signed yesterday or today) and so we have just been driving around to different sites and spending a lot of money on petrol (yes, that's right, I'll call it petrol now). 
Siya being sharp / Will, Titie, and I juggling in our yard


Yesterday all our driving led us to two different graduations.  One we left early from because the kids were too shy to perform in front of us.  On their graduations the kids get snacks and certificates and have a chance to celebrate by voluntarily singing, dancing, and performing skits or poems. In the afternoon however, we went to a primary school and the kids there loved having us around.  We watched for over an hour as they performed for each other.  Some of those kids are crazy good singers and dancers.  There was one group that was doing gospel music and I swear the soloist girl was crazy good.  It was insane.
Cutest kid ever!

Setting: driving to pick up snacks for the graduation.  A police car drives by with its sirens on a cars move to the sides.

Siya: O, something is happening somewhere.  Or he is going to see his girlfriend.  They do that too.

I made dinner last night - some sort of Indian flavored chicken...I definitely just invented it.  It was good though.  After dinner Jimmy, Will, and I went to Captain's to watch the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup (aka Real vs Barca!!!!)

Jimmy and I had gone there last Sunday to watch the first leg and it was crazy.  This place is also a dance-oriented bar and is split into two areas.  The bar area is dark, has some tables, a dance floor, and a DJ booth.  The front room is open in the summer, but for now it has plastic walls, is furnished with picnic benches, and has a nice TV right in the center of the wall hanging over the entrance to the bar area.  We sit here.

Last Sunday the teams tied 2-2, great game.  The atmosphere is hilarious though because there is some definite techno going on instead of announcer banter and there are some seriously drunk guys that love to come talk to you.  Two guys in particular approached us last Sunday.  The first one talked to Jimmy a lot and I just kinda watched the game.  The second guy walked right up to me, told me I was beautiful, and asked what he was missing "in my bones".  He continued to tell me and Jimmy his life story.  He's from Zimbabwe, I look like his sister.  He feels sorry for me for this because his sister has gone through some tough times.  He just broke up with his girlfriend because he found her cheating on him over skype.  He likes psychologists because they are smart.  He does not belong in SA, but has a house and a car here.  If he could be from Brooklyn he would be.  All his friends are in Europe, but "most" of his friends are in Australia. 

yeah.

So last night we decided we definitely needed to return to THIS bar for the game.  We got a pitcher of beer and the mood was very similar.  The game was better (3-2 whoooo).  There were two Real fans sitting at the table next to us and we had fun teasing each other as the game progressed.  There was a man who sat at our table and chatted with us a bit at the end, him and I talked about Barcelona, Liverpool, and SA.  There were also these young kids, I would guess under 18, thus underage,  who sat in front of us.  One kept staring at me.  When I would look at him he'd wink at me.  I am dead serious when I say I think he was 17 max.  Disturbing.  I had to yell at him to turn around and stop.  Kind of funny though.



The game got super intense - as Classicos are likely to be. Ozil had to be carried away by a couple of players and coaches because he was so upset about something.  He was screaming the whole way off.  Marcelo got red carded was scissoring Cesc - HORRIBLE TACKLE (and may I also note that I did indeed write Cesc because he has FINALLY come home!).  Someone else got a red too for fighting, Villa I believe. It got super crazy though at this point and everyone was on the field pushing and yelling.  Classic.

Today has been lazy - GTL.  The T needs to be replaced with D however.  Gym, Driving stick, and Laundry.  I drove around a parking lot today and I remembered pretty well.  Maybe I'll drive home....

No comments:

Post a Comment