About Grassroot Soccer

Mission: Grassroot Soccer uses the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilize communities to stop the spread of HIV.

Vision: A world mobilized through soccer to prevent new HIV infections.

Strategy: To achieve our mission, we continuously improve our innovative HIV prevention and life-skills curriculum, share our program and concept effectively, and utilize the popularity of soccer to increase our impact.

http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/

Grassroot Video: Who We Are, What We Do.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Little Reality

My time spent in the townships has been so danger and event-free that I sometimes forget that there is a definite violent and dangerous side to living here.  It has become normal for me to work here, go out drinking here, spend time with my friends here, and even walk around here and not once have I ever had a problem with anybody.  Perhaps this is because I stand out so much, but who's to say. 

Anyways, the other day Chika and I went out to get lunch at a shopping center right down the road.  While we were there she saw a man that she knew so we went over to talk to him.  He was an older gentlemen and very nice.  Chika introduced us and we said our pleasantries before Chika and him had a brief conversation.  Before we left he gave us each 2 rand.  It was the ultimate grandpa-style gesture.  He was just nice.  Two days later Chika told me he had died.  He tried to break up a fight between his son and another guy and the other guy ended up shooting him.  I couldn't believe this and I still don't know how to handle it. 

Living here has been very strange.  I feel so safe wherever I go.  The people I spend time with have made me feel that the space I move within is very safe.  Things like people being shot, or getting car jacked, or robbed just seem completely foreign to me.  Am I being silly to not be more guarded?  I don't know.  I don't know what to think about any of this...

No comments:

Post a Comment