About Grassroot Soccer

Mission: Grassroot Soccer uses the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilize communities to stop the spread of HIV.

Vision: A world mobilized through soccer to prevent new HIV infections.

Strategy: To achieve our mission, we continuously improve our innovative HIV prevention and life-skills curriculum, share our program and concept effectively, and utilize the popularity of soccer to increase our impact.

http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/

Grassroot Video: Who We Are, What We Do.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mavela

Earlier this week I went to hang out with Theo and he ended up taking me to this tavern by his house in Zwide.  The place was called Mavela Tavern and is this small establishment with a pool table and TVs inside and a large patio filled with picnic tables.  The music of choice is jazz and the tables are all filled with people happily drinking their beer, cider, or brandy.  I did drink shots of brandy from a measuring cup.

I took a seat with his friends when we arrived on a container used to transport bottles - these makeshift chairs are a norm in any township establishment with drinking it seems.  The first few minutes I was there I was sitting on one of the far ends of the room so I could see everyone.  Slowly, every person turned to look at me.  One guy came up to me and said, "1994….2012….it has been 18 years, and finally, for the first time, I am seeing a white person drinking in my hood." 

Over the course of the night I made friends with Theo's friends and plenty of people came up to me to make sure I was enjoying myself, seemingly satisfied if I was satisfied with my experience.  One of Theo's good friend's mom owns the Tavern so he would come around and replace our drinks every once in a while and gave us a whole pack of Hunters Extreme when we tried to leave. 

Eventually I left.  I ate some food and sobered up before driving home.  This was my first time out casually in public in the townships.  Also, my first time walking around in the streets.  I spend all my time it seems in this part of the city, but I am rarely in the community - either in the office, the car, Shoprite, or schools.  This was definitely a new experience and I really enjoyed myself - even though Theo's mom kept calling to make sure I was safe.  I hope to do this more.

No comments:

Post a Comment