About Grassroot Soccer

Mission: Grassroot Soccer uses the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilize communities to stop the spread of HIV.

Vision: A world mobilized through soccer to prevent new HIV infections.

Strategy: To achieve our mission, we continuously improve our innovative HIV prevention and life-skills curriculum, share our program and concept effectively, and utilize the popularity of soccer to increase our impact.

http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/

Grassroot Video: Who We Are, What We Do.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Let's Play Catch-Up

So, I have been ignoring my duty to whoever reads this and for that I am sorry.  I feel like I have been doing the same-ole same-ole each day and that there is little to update on, but the fact is that that is not true.

Work had been carrying on normally, but I was having good times with friends and so forth, but here are some things to catch everyone up on:

1. Pumeza left for maternity leave.  Siya is now the acting site coordinator and he is doing a marvelous job.  He is very open in his communication and likes to keep everyone in the know and moving on projects.  He has done a great job at keeping up busy and happy.

2. We hired our 3 CPCs so VIP, Nowie, and Mendisto are now full time staff members!

3. Headquarters decided that we should get an office administrator to do my job in between intern classes and to help Siya out while Pumeza is gone.  This means that I get to interview, choose, and train my replacement.  Trick is that things are not so easy.  The first girl that we chose had issues with a reference so we interviewed more people, but didn't like them.  Then the reference got sorted out so we offered her the job.  Last second she was scooped up by the Dept. of Health - boo.  So then Siya and I started our third round of interviews.  We liked the girls, but no one of the 3 we interviewed yesterday scored well on the computer exam (how well do you know microsoft word and excel?).  SOOOOOoooo we did our FOURTH round of interviews today and FINALLY found a girl who we liked and who scored well.  My fingers are crossed that the background check goes well and that she accepts.  The only catch is that tomorrow is my last day.  She'll start Monday and I won't get to train her.  Oh well.  I have written up directions for her on the things I do and Cape Town will send someone to fill in the finance gaps.

4. Jetta.  I was put in charge of selling the Jetta earlier this month.  Headquarters told me to put an add up on gumtree (Craigslist for SA) so I did.  I sold it within 2 days.  I exchanged money for car and headquarters told me they would send me all the necessary paperwork for him.  Weeks pass by.  The license is expired, but he can't renew it to drive the car legally until we hand over legal ownership to him.  2 weeks pass before we finally get the documents in PE.  The buyer comes in to pick them up and they are copies.  Plus, there is no certified copy of the ID of whoever the license is under.  Useless.   June 2nd was the day I exchanged the car for the money.  It is now June 27th and he does not have legal ownership, nor can he legally drive the car because he can't renew the license.  I don't know.  He calls me everyday, I call headquarters everyday...now it has finally been decided that the REAL proxy is from PE, an old site coordinator and Siya knows him so will take care of it...I'm washing my hands.  He has threatened to ask for his money back which would not be good.  He came to our house where the car was sitting (not by our choice) to deal with me in the selling of the car (not by my choice).  The money was at our house and the boys had some coaches over to braai.  Over the course of the next 32 hours R2600 went missing out of my room of the money he gave me.  That was a whole debacle with me filing a police report and them telling me I was dumb etc. etc....now if he asks for him money back we will be down R2600.  Yikes.  I am excited that tomorrow is my last day.

5. The City Lads are in Durban.  They lost their first game to the reigning champions and I am waiting to hear about today's results.

6. Chika got hired to help Scott with the RCT until the end.  Shuffle got hired to move to Cape Town and help them finish up their schools.  MY GIRLS!!!!  So proud.

7. Tomorrow Will and I leave for Durban.  It will be our last day of work then a week of vacation and then a week in PE and THEN HOME!

8. SPAIN EURO 2012!!!!!!!!

Is that all?  Definitely not.  Oh well.  Sorry Charlie.

No comments:

Post a Comment